Remodeling your kitchen is a truly exciting and stressful time. Let’s face it; the process to renew your gathering place will force you to become creative in the flow of your lifestyle. However, before the demolition begins, there are ways you can be prepared. And, the more prepared you are, the smoother it will go.
As fun as the end product sounds, there are a lot of decisions you need to make. These can be fun, but overwhelming if they have to be made all at once. So to avoid decision fatigue, here are 10 decisions you will need to make for your kitchen remodel:
- Layout: You have a general idea of how you want your kitchen to look and flow. Your remodeling specialist will help you design the space to incorporate these ideas. It is essential that youcommunicate how you want to function in the space. Having an open, detailed conversation will enable the specialist to create drawings to bring your ideas to life.
- Cabinets: Cabinets are a multi-layer choice, which is determined by budget and lifestyle. Type, materials, door-style, and the finish on the cabinet are choices, if made before hand, will move the project along. Take a look around in showrooms, other homes and online to get an idea of your taste.
- Countertops: Choosing your countertops can be determined by your budget and the look and feel you are creating in your kitchen. There are numerous choices out there from granite to marble to wood to tile, etc. Taking time to do some research will enable you to know what fits in your budget and lifestyle.
- Backsplash: The backsplash protects your walls from water and food. While it is functional in nature, it can be a focal point. The right choice of materials and style can create a stunning visual accent in the kitchen. There are different materials that you can use on your backsplash: ceramic, porcelain, marble, glass, granite and metal. The design of the materials can be unique to your style.
- Flooring: It is essential that the flooring you select for your kitchen be able to withstand the wear and tear that is normal for the busiest space of your home. There are many options to consider when selecting the floor: tile, hardwood, laminate, vinyl, cork or bamboo. Knowing your lifestyle will help to determine the best floor type for your kitchen.
- Lighting: Having the right lighting in the kitchen is essential. Lighting definitely makes the space more inviting and functional. The lighting of the room can become a focal point or enhance a beautiful piece in the space.
- Sinks/Faucets: Your plumbing is crucial to the functionality of the kitchen. The style of sink and faucets you choose can be both functional and aesthetic. Gone are the days when the kitchen sink looked the same in every house on the block. There are more options than ever in plumbing selection for the kitchen.
- Appliances: A new kitchen calls for new appliances. Knowing what type of appliances you will be putting in will help with the space design. Refrigerators, stoves, ovens, microwaves, and warmers will all have an impact in their placement and the flow in the kitchen.
- Paint: The color of your kitchen determines the ambiance of the space. It creates the mood you want to establish. Different paint colors elicit emotions of calm, hunger, or excitement. How you want your kitchen to feel starts with the color you select for the walls.
- Hardware (pulls, hinges): The hardware on your cabinets are the finishing touch. Some people select ornate pulls and hinges, while others opt for sleek and stylish. It is incredible how these pieces accent the space and bring it together.
When all of these 10 decisions come together, your new kitchen becomes a reality, making your home your own, in your taste.
Call us if a kitchen remodel is in your near future!